Stránky

Saturday 20 February 2016

Best Supporting Actress 2015: Jennifer Jason Leigh - The Hateful Eight

I love The Hateful Eight. It's definitely one of the top three Tarantino films for me and I don't quite get the controversy around the film and this particular character, so I'm gonna ignore it in this review, because it would take too much time and I wouldn't be nice to feminists.
Jennifer Jason Leigh received her first Oscar nomination (which is kinda ridiculous) for portraying Daisy – an outlaw, who is being 'arrested' by a bounty hunter played by Kurt Russell. She plays the only significant female character one the film. It is portrayed in the screenplay, but in Leigh's acting, as well that Daisy is not normal in her head. Leigh shows it wonderfully from the very beginning by the way she looks around, or speaks.
The most important thing about the performance is how enjoyable it is, while it stays complex. Leigh greatly shows that her character has got nothing to loose. It's as if Leigh personally didn't have anything to loose, as well. Not only with her acting approach, as it really doesn't fit any acting method, but also with the fact she agreed on playing this character, because it took acting many risks.
Leigh is also excellent in creating a secret around Daisy. It is revealed in the last chapter of the film and in Leigh's hands it doesn't seem forced, at all. On the top of that she gets much many acting opportunities after the revealing and she uses it perfectly! In her final scenes she reminded me of Carrie (I guess it was on purpose) – it is a strange person, who is sadistic, wicked, crazy, but it's difficult not to fall for her. Leigh achieved a wonderful thing – we like Daisy and feel sorry for her, but we dislike her at the same time.
As the only woman of the cast, Leigh stands out not only in terms of acting, but her character as if didn't fit the plot. It's something that is done on purpose and she was great in showing this.
All I can say at the end is that after Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction, we got another brilliant female supporting turn in Tarantino film.
The chances of winning an Oscar: I think they're higher than most of other people do. She's my dark horse for the film. I guess she's the second behind Mara. 

2 comments:

  1. Love her, and I'm glad you did as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She should win, like seriously. She dominated in a male-ensamble film, and she stole every second of it. Not to mention that this performance is already iconic. She is also my personal winner.

    ReplyDelete