Stránky

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Best Supporting Actor 2012: Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

Django Unchained is one of the best films released the previous year. It's extremely funny and entertaining and in my opinion it's the best Tarantino's film (from what I've seen from him). There probably isn't a single boring scene, which I wouldn't enjoy. Christoph Waltz plays Dr. King Schultz, the bounty hunter. It is the matter of many discussions, if Waltz is leading or supporting here. I don't usually care about this, especially not if the leading performance is to be in the supporting category.
The first time we see his character is in the first scene after the opening subtitles and it stays there almost till the end. Therefore I'd say it's rather co-leading performance, than supporting, but it doesn't absolutely matter.
From this first scene we know Waltz is going to rule the film. He's really funny and entertaining in this scene (and throughout the entire film) and it's obvious he greatly enjoys playing this character. Waltz adorably shows the wonderful simplicity King handles all the problems, which is almost bound to naivety.
As I said, he really is the King of the film. This fact is changing after an hour of the film, when Leonardo DiCaprio appears in the film. It's not Waltz's fault, his character is just shifted in the shadow of DiCaprio's character. And the fact that DiCaprio is playing as greatly and passionately, as Waltz, just singles that out. But it's not a big deal, because Waltz plays wonderfully every moment he has. This 'overshadowing' ends in the last half an hour of his performance.
Many people compare this performance with Waltz's creation in Inglourious basterds. He handles both of them really excellently, but here he plays a positive character. And if I had to choose, I would probably go for his affirmative side, for it fits Waltz a little more, that we can sympathize with him.
It's almost impossible to choose his best scene, because he is perfect in every second on the screen. No way I could say just one...
The chances of winning an Oscar: They are quite solid, actually. It's either him, or Jones I think. Right now I think it's going to be him (yes, I changed my mind), because I think Harvey it really going to root for him...

1 comment: