Stránky

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Best Leading Actor 2012: Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook

In Silver Linings Playbook Bradley Cooper plays Pat, a man with the bipolar affection who come from the psychiatry and tries to find his ex-wife Nicky, who was unfaithful to him. There's actually nothing else he'd be interested in. Except from that he's trying to get back to the normal life.
Cooper's performance surprised me in a good way. I would never expect such a complex performance from Cooper. His character is really confused from some things we would normally don't care about (Hemighway), therefore the world is very chaotic and confusing for him. And so we should have the same feelings from the film and his performance. And this chaos is wonderfully reflected in it.
A very similar situation I remember from three years ago, when I was watching Sandra Bullock's performance in The Blind Side. An actor that we know mostly from comedies is playing in a more serious comedy, in which he gave the best performance from the entire cast.
He had the great chemistry with Jennifer Lawrence (and I'm really happy to know that this is not their last film together) and their common scenes are really a joy to watch. And I'm not talking about the great chemistry he had with Weaver and also De Niro...
I loved how he handled the scenes he had to be angry in. It was obvious from his performance that his character is mentally ill, but he never was overacting. There was not a single scene of his, he would overact.
In this moment of review I would usually write his best scene. But there is not a single scene, in which he would shine more than in the rest of his scenes, which can be seen as a good thing (he was equally great in all of his scenes), or as a bad thing (he didn't have a scene he would shine in). I personally can't decide, which side I'm on.
The chances of winning an Oscar: If Harvey really roots for everyone from his studio, they're bigger, than you'd think. But Daniel Day-Lewis is too strong frontrunner. I think he's the third behind Lewis and Jackman...

1 comment:

  1. I would say he specifically shines in his first break down scene, and this is just a good performance throughout with many strong moment though.

    ReplyDelete